Tuesday 17 January 2012

Death Penalty for Self-Defense

As a lot of people know, I support the death penalty for murder in the current justice system. This does not say much, of course, because I do not support the current justice system as a whole, so there is little reason for me to engage in any debates regarding it. The main reason I don't support the current system could freak out most NeoLiberal minded people: OUR GOVERNMENT TODAY IMPOSES THE DEATH PENALTY FOR ANYTHING, INCLUDING SELF-DEFENSE. So let's take an example.

I am a pacifist living on a nice suburban estate in England. I work hard, and so does my wife. We have to work hard, because we are trying to save enough money for our child to go to the school of our choice so that he can actually get educated, not indoctrinated. In order to pay for the school, we can't afford to forfeit 60% of our income in protection money, so we simply stop paying the local gang. We have not aggressed against anyone in doing so. In fact, we never used force to get anything in our lives - as pacifists we only use force in self-defense. We are therefore able to pay for the school and are happy living as we are. Unfortunately soon letters start flooding in from the protection racket which has a monopoly of "protection" in the neighbourhood. These letters are followed up by "court" documents and phone calls. One day, I am making dinner in the kitchen, while my wife answers the doorbell. I hear screams. I run through the hallway and see two men in strange blue costumes grappling with my wife. It seems obvious that they are kidnappers. Without hesitation I grab a knife and lunge at the attackers. But seeing the knife they immediately pull guns out of the holsters on their waist and open fire...
My wife and I are found dead on our doorstep by our neighbours that evening.

What do you think would happen to you if you stopped paying your taxes? What would happen if you didn't pay a parking ticket? What would happen if you defended yourself and your loved ones against the thugs in blue, who have no right invading your property?
Death is the only ultimate penalty non-anarchists know. And the State is more than happy to dish it out everyday, before our very eyes.

2 comments:

  1. You are against obligation to pay taxes because government has no right to take your money and spend it in the way that politicians think is best for you. But on the other hand you support taking somebody's life, because that person didn't obey the law. So, is human life less worth than property?

    And who would paid hangman for his work, if there were no taxes? Oh, I've forgotten that you are monarchist. So maybe king, who has his own budget? Do you think king wouldn't set a taxation? And why king's right to collect taxes is better than "Democratic State"?...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that a man's life IS his property, so these two ideas cannot be easily separated. I think taxes imposed by the state are synonymous with the death penalty simply because if I decided not to pay taxes and defend myself from invaders (i.e. I decided I will live by myself and practice self-defense) then the government would send special men to kill me.
    Owners of properties are in actual fact Kings. Tax-collectors are dirty tools of the brigand system. They are occupants and usurpers, nothing more.

    ReplyDelete