Saturday 27 March 2010

Social Darwinism is NOT Evil

For some reason many people I speak to equate Social Darwinism with real active Eugenics - Hitler style. They could not be more wrong. "Social Darwinism" is a moral, but mainly scientific, way to view evolution among people, within society. Most of my Darwinist ideas come from the writings of Herbert Spencer, arguably the greatest man of the 19th Century. He is also, sadly, the most misunderstood man of his time. Whenever I mention Spencer in "intellectual" circles (i.e. to some people who have somewhere heard or read something about Spencer) I am told he is as bad as Hitler! According to many scholars Spencer advocated the "might-makes-right" approach to morality, a world where the weak should perish and the powerful should let them die - for the good of humanity. This is blatantly false. Spencer did argue that people who are stupid and a drain on society through their own criminal ways should be eliminated. But we don't need to eliminate them actively, through evolution, they eliminate themselves! This is present where, for example, a gangster shoots another gangster or, in a legal scenario, a man kills another in a duel to which they both agreed. Nowhere does Spencer say we should harm, hurt, or kill anyone on purpose. In fact, the very act of harming others would put us into the category of people who should be eliminated. Eliminated by nature itself because "The whole effort of nature is to get rid of such, and to make room for better. (Social Statics, 1851). As for saving people who were unfortunate and their low status or health problems were not of their making, Herbert Spencer said charity is indispensible as a way to save these valuable individuals for the later good of all.
People often read Spencer's comments out of context. They read 1 or 2 chapters of his massive works and don't understand the overall picture. This is where I think this demonization of Spencer comes from.

2 comments:

  1. You're wrong! Social Darwinism is evil because it's a form of narrow-minded delusion in that it's overly selective about living things. I hate Darwinism because I've had it with the idea that only strong people should survive.

    Darwinism is nothing more than a closed-minded and selfish ideal that its supporters impose others to convert them to it and eliminate those who are different from them.

    Another reason that I'm against social Darwinism is because of some guy who supports it by suggesting that victims should make friends with bullies instead of being against them. How hypocritical and shortsighted he is.

    There's such a thing as compassion, you know? What I'm getting at is that you should learn to care for others and be fair to them rather being a biased or prejudiced Darwinist who weeds out the weak (or the those who he or she perceive as weak).

    If I were you, I'd turn away from Darwinism and be supportive of other people. What Darwinism does is influence people badly and cause unnecessary harm.

    I'm not saying that you have to be a goody-goody. I, myself, am not goody-goody. An example is that I wouldn't show mercy to bad guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all - I usually don't take anonymous comments seriously, so please have the guts to put your name under the things you publish.

    Darwinism has nothing to do with good or evil, it is a simple fact of nature. I do not seek to 'weed' anyone out. I would never take any action against an individual for whatever reason (unless it's self-defense).

    The great maxim of freedom-lovers 'live and let live' is meaningless unless it is accompanied by its other part: 'live and let die'.

    I have every reason to be compassionate toward people, but charity has nothing to do with Social-Darwinism. Charity is a good and legitimate was of helping others. I am not against charity, I am against extortion and use of force against others in order to obtain charity money (such as through taxation).

    "An example is that I wouldn't show mercy to bad guys."

    You wrote this yourself and that is exactly what Social-Darwinism is. No mercy to bad people! Compassion and charity for those who you want to help! That is my message.

    ReplyDelete