Sunday 14 August 2011

I feel like Edmund Burke must have felt...

Friedrich August von Hayek used to describe himself as an "Old Whig" and that is distinctly how I feel in regard to all the recent debates about the UK Riots. As strange as it may seem, I know some Lefties who are quite good at criticizing the government from an anarchist perspective. Some of them even run interesting (though rather confused) blogs. Philosophically even within the anarcho-capitalist movement there is a a so-called 'left-wing' variety. This includes pretty much all the people who call themselves 'free-market anarchists' (such as Roderick Long or Charles Johnson - who annoys me with the use of the word 'she' in his writings with which he replaced the traditional 'he').
A few of these friends of mine who approach anarchism from a egalitarian perspective (which I believe is wrong) are actually speaking out in support of the rioters. This debate I've been having with them clearly reflects the one over the French Revolution which broke apart the British Whigs in the 18th Century. The Old Whigs, led by the The Right Honourable Edmund Burke based their opposition to the revolution on Burke's great work: Reflections on the Revolution in France. The reason I feel like Burke is that I have been using arguments similar to Burke's in my opposition to the riots. That is, I support traditional order, Rule of Law, and anti-egalitarianism. Both the means and the ends of the rioters are, in my opinion, evil and wrong.
Meanwhile, the New Whigs, led by The Honourable Charles James Fox, supported the French Revolution on principle (anti-royalism and egalitarianism). In fact many of them, such as Fox himself, supported the revolution even after it degenerated into the famous Reign of Terror under Robespierre. Many Rothbardian anarchists of the 'left' variety have been using rhetoric similar to Fox's when arguing their case with me in their pro-Riot view.

Another thing I notice here is that the pro-Riot opinion seems to be highly reminiscient of 'Propaganda by the Deed' talk. Personally I am more in favour of education and peaceful resistance than violence, as I think I have discussed often enough on this blog. As the great Edmund Burke wrote in those Reflections: "Our patience will achieve more than our force".

No comments:

Post a Comment