Friday 3 December 2010

Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and State Warfare

A lot of libertarians are very harsh in the criticism of Harry S. Truman and the US decision to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945 before the end of World War II. I am no less critical - in an 8th grade social studies essay I equated Truman with Stalin (quite a bold statement for a 14 year old to make). The tragedy of the bombings is mostly attributed to the evil of Truman, American aggression, and racism. Few people, however, emphasize the role of the State as an entity as the culprit here. By State I mean just what it is - the conceptual being encompassing some landmass and ruling over a certain population through government. So why would the existence of the state make it justifiable or at least rational for Mr. Truman to order the killing of hundreds of thousands of civilians? The answer lies in democracy and the rule of common ownership. In a democracy all people own the state (at least that is the theory). Therefore in theory all people are responsible for the state's actions. They are also required to participate in maintenance of the state. Individuals in a democratic state are simply feeder units of the state itself - they have no individuality in political matters. This is especially true in foreign affairs and wars. Thus when Mr. Truman was bombing the people of Hiroshima he was bombing people who were supplying the hostile Japanese government with means of resisting American troops. Furthermore, he was bombing people who approved of the Japanese government's actions! In the same way all these Japanese were responsible for the attack on Pearl Harbor (nb. a military base), all Americans were responsible for the atomic bombings. At the very least all the ones who voted for Harry Truman. Total war exists only in the statist system. Wiping out entire populations makes sense if those populations are supplying your opponent with the means to resist you.
This concept is best explained by Hans-Hermann Hoppe in his undeniable masterpiece Democracy The God That Failed. He contrasts the tendency for total war in collectivist societies of states with tendencies for war being restricted to few casualties (even among the troops) in feudal and monarchical societies.
I for one totally distance myself from any politicians in my homeland of Poland. I in no way feel responsible for their actions. The President of Poland is not my President. I want it to be clear (and on public record) that this man, Mr. Bronisław Komorowski, does not have my approval and does not have my consent to speak in my name. Same goes for current Prime Minister Donald Tusk. In case they try to commit some crime (of lesser proportions than Hiroshima I would hope) I feel this post should absolve me.

No comments:

Post a Comment